A dental implant (also known as fixture) is a surgical component that connects to the bone of the jaw and creates a platform on which a dental prosthesis such as a denture, crown or bridge can be placed.
With dental implants we can make single tooth replacement that, not only looks like natural teeth but also functions most like natural teeth. Advantages of dental implants are that they continue to stimulate the bone (preventing bone resorption), they maintain the integrity of the adjacent teeth, and are easy to clean. Well made dental implants have very high long term success rates of over 90%.
Implants may be used to replace single tooth, multiple teeth or an entire arch of teeth.
- Missing a Single Tooth – One implant with an artificial tooth will give you a natural looking healthy smile
- Missing Several Teeth – Two or more implants, which support a bridge, can replace several missing teeth.
- Replacing All of Your Teeth – Two or more implants can be used to support a full denture or multiple implants may be used to support numerous crowns to recreate your smile
When planning an implant, you should be prepared for several visits. We will always analyze your condition very carefully and make you personalized treatment plan.
At times the implant site may need modification prior to implant placement. Two such situations are described below.
- Sinus Augmentation – Sometimes a procedure called Sinus Augmentation may be needed. At times the upper posterior jaw does not have enough quality bone structure to support an implant. Sinus Augmentation is then used to develop more bone and raise the sinus floor for successful implant placement.
- Ridge Modification – Deficiencies in the quality and quantity of bone in the upper or lower jaw can be corrected with ridge modification. Bone defects can be filled with bone or bone substitute to build a platform for an implant.
A dental implant is a standard procedure in contemporary dentistry and we do them regularly at Twohig dentistry.